Make a Donation

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A Filmmaker's New Year's Resolution



Well, here it is.

The last day of 2013.

Tomorrow starts a new year.

This is always my favorite time of the year. And my favorite holiday. New Year's Day always symbolizes to me an end to what you've done, and a fresh start of things to get done.

This holiday is no exception.

I'm kind of sad to see 2013 end. This year has been one for the books. It started last January with me finally writing my filmmaking book. A book I've been wanting to write for over 5 years. Then returning to Park City. Then going to Vegas and making Opal's directorial debut film, the documentary short film TITS. The film premiered in April in London, and in 6 months this year, played over 20 film festivals worldwide, won Opal best Director honors in Australia, and won Best Film in Hollywood. In April, I also returned back to Missouri for 6 months. And over a 6 month period, shot 4 new films, read 4 books I've been wanting to read for over 10 years, and wrote 2 more books that have been waiting to be written for over 15 years.

Last month, I returned back out West. And in a month's time, have 13 book signings set up in Nevada, Utah and California over the next 2 months. And the new year is getting ready to start out with a bang:

I'll be returning to Park City next month. This time, with a book event at Dolly's Bookstore in Park City for the new No Budget filmmaking book. Plus a couple of other projects there as well.

PHONE SEX GRANDMA, our most successful short film, is still kicking. It screens festivals in Canada and London next month. And Opal's film TITS screens the UK next month, along with screening in Texas in March. And this is just the start of the 2014 film festival circuit screenings.

4 new web series are shot and ready to be released in 2014.

A new short film has been shot and will be released to the festival circuit next month.

And that's just a taste of how the New Year will start for this underground filmmaking in 2014.

My new year's resolution each year anymore is about getting things done. I make a list of things to get done in the year. And at the end of the year, I look at the list to see what I've got done.

This year, in 2013, I look at my new year's resolution filmmaking list, and everything is marked off. That's a damn good feeling.

My 2014 New Year's resolution as a filmmaker?

There's a lot on the list:

Book signings
Shoot a new movie
Distributing web series
Making money with the films and books already made
The Sundance and Slamdance project in Park City next month

And that's just a start.

Happy New Year. From an underground, truly independent, no budget filmmaker.

NO BUDGET FILMMAKING
By Jack Truman
Copyright 2013 by Dixie Publishing:



WOODY THE REDNECK
The Web Series
Starring Jack Truman as Woody
A Dixie Production




No comments:

Post a Comment