Make a Donation

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Sundance 2014 - Day 1 - Underground No Budget Filmmaking




Day 1's over. And in the books.

It's about 2 a.m., and I'm back in my room at the Motel 6 in Salt Lake City. A full first day of getting up here from a 450 mile trip from Hollywood, to checking into the room, getting to Sundance on Main Street, and putting in a full evening of first day experiences at the Sundance and Slamdance film festivals on Main Street.

I've been coming up here almost every year since my first film played Slamdance 8 years ago. And I'll tell you something. This damn city changes every year. And that's not a good thing. It's not for the better. Before we start here, I'm not trying to be a pessimist. I'm trying to be a realist. The best thing to do for others is to keep it real. So it can help you the best way filmmaking can.

Things have changed so much in this town over the last 8 years. I miss the way it was 8 years ago. Damn, I miss the way it was just 6 years ago. As a no budget filmmaker, it's been unreal the changes with Sundance just over the last 2 years. And each year gets worse for true independent filmmakers. One thing I've noticed right off the bat on the first day is that over 80 percent of the films at Sundance this year either have major film stars, studio film budgets of 2 to 10 million dollars, or a studio behind them. That's not independent filmmaking. This town has evolved over the years to being a mecca for Hollywood to bring their 'low budget' studio films under 10 million to a town to screen. It's drifted away as a mecca for true art house indie film. That's shame to see. But I try to come up almost every year to have a reunion with my Slamdance friends and family, make a handful of new friends, see what's evolving on the indie film scene, and get a project out there.

Okay. It's just the first day. And I haven't got about any sleep over the last 24 hours.

Last night, I reviewed my calendar schedule for Day 1 at Sundance, packed the rental car, and went to bed around 11 p.m....and tossed and turned all night. The last few nights, it's been a struggle to rest. Finally, I made myself get up around 3 in the morning. Drank some coffee, and hit the road with Opal. The weather was great driving up. We got in Salt Lake City around 2:30 in the afternoon and checked into our room at the Motel 6.

After checking in and unloading the car, we headed to Park City. Now, Park City's only about 25 miles from SLC. So taking our time on I-80, it only takes about 30 minutes or so to drive over there to the downtown area and park near the Sundance headquarters at the Marriott. But once we got downtown, it took us over an hour just to find a parking spot. That was weird. Usually it's not like that.

Once we found a parking spot, we walked over to the Sundance headquarters at the Marriott, got some of the trades that were out for the first day, took a dump and a piss on Sundance in the restroom, got a couple of Sundance schedules, and hopped on the transit bus heading to Main Street.



When I got to Main street and started walking down the street to the Treasure Mountain Inn, I was shocked. The street was like a ghost town. Barely anyone walking on Main street the first night of Sundance and Slamdance 2014. Amazing. It was weird. Something just didn't seem right. Usually this street is mobbed with foot traffic. I walked past Dolly's Bookstore where my book signing event will be Sunday for the new No Budget filmmaking book. And the store had a flier smack dab in the store window there in front. That was pretty cool. A big boost for the ego right off the bat. Opal and I continued walking up Main Street until we got to the Slamdance headquarters at the Treasure Mountain Inn.

Once we walked in the door, it felt like we were back home. Going to the office, we saw Anna, got our alumni badges, and I chatted with Peter for a few minutes. Then it was off to walking down Main Street to the Indiegogo Sundance party. Indiegogo partnered with us to launch during Sundance 2014 our new crowdfunding campaign for my passion project, the inspirational old time burlesque documentary film THE OLD STRIPPER. In fact, the campaign just launched this morning on Indiegogo to coincide with the opening of Sundance 2014. I've been working with them for some time, so I had to make the party. By the time we got down there, only about 15 to 20 minutes were left for the event. And it was a madhouse. Mobs of people in there partying, drinking and mobbed shoulder to shoulder. I don't drink anymore. Haven't had a drop of liquor in over 3 years. It's fun to watch people. Anyway, spent about 15 minutes there, and had to get out. Between the loud music, the shoulder to shoulder mob mentality, it felt good just making an appearance and leave it at that. I can tell I'm getting old. I don't have the body I did 20 years ago.

After the Indiegogo party, Opal and I walked up to the Morningstar farms building and had a great free vegan quinoa burger. They started having the Morningstar farms building last year right across the street from the Egyptian, and it's great. The people there are so nice and cool. And you can come as many times as you want through the day and get a free burger. I love it. The food was great. And I loved the price even more.

Once we finished eating, I walked up to the Treasure Mountain Inn and got our tickets for the films we planned to see over the next 6 days at Slamdance. Got tickets for 11 films. I hope we have time to see all of them over the time we're here. We've got a lot to do.

Then it was off to the Montana Film reception on Main street. It started at 8. We got there around 8:30. There wasn't about any food there at all we could eat. Maybe a couple of crackers. Did a little roaming, circling and networking for about an hour.

Once heading out of there, it was time for the Slamdance 20 year reunion opening night party. This year, instead of having the party at the headquarters, they had it at the Deer Valley Lodges, an uppity resort down the road. I was surprised. We took the shuttle to the party, and went to the back of the lodge where the party was. It was in a garage. Not in the lodge. In a garage. Cars were parking in the garage during the party. It was weird. Some people, it would come across cool. To me, it was weird. I'll just leave it at that. At the party, it was great seeing some old friends: Ed, DC, Adrian, Dan, Peter, and many more; and made some neat new friends. That part's always the best.

Opal and I got out of there about midnight, went back to the car, and headed back to SLC. We got back to our room at the Motel 6 around 1 in the morning. Once back in the room, I reviewed the stuff that happened over the day, made some notes on biz cards I got from new friends, and kind of reviewed what we have planned for tomorrow.

I've got a different mentality here this year at Sundance and Slamdance. Damn. Every time I write that word. Sundance. It just puts a rotten taste in my mouth. The word Slamdance gives a real feeling. Anyway, it's a different mentality here this year. My focus is on the new No Budget filmmaking book and 1 film project, The Old Stripper. Not the normal slamming the streets, parties, events, and so on. It's more about seeing old friends, making a few new friends, having a reunion with Slamdance, having a success with the No Budget filmmaking book in town with the book signing at Dolly's, and getting our new burlesque documentary film out there this week with Indiegogo at Sundance and Slamdance.

We're here.

Day 1 is done and in the books.

The madness is only beginning.

NO BUDGET FILMMAKING
By Jack Truman:





No comments:

Post a Comment