Make a Donation

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Sundance and Slamdance 2014: Heading to the Annual Hustle in Park City



Well, it's that time of year again.

Time for the Park City madness.

I love this time of year. In less than 48 hours, I'll be renting a car, driving up north from Hollywood to the snowy mountains of Park City, Utah, and welcoming the annual hustle of the independent film business: at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival.

But take it from this true underground independent filmmaker: Sundance doesn't hold a candle to Slamdance.

The Slamdance Film Festival has been a part of my family since my first film premiered up there back in 2006, the award winning cult short film PHONE SEX GRANDMA. Slamdance laid the foundation and the standard to how film festivals are supposed to be. Over the last 8 years, this will be my 6th time heading to the Sundance and Slamdance insanity. There's nothing like it. But I will be honest. It's nothing like it used to be. And that's not a good thing.

They call that week the week of independent film. Sundance has gotten away from what it used to be, and it's so Hollywood, artificial, and industry/celebrity driven. When you're on Main Street around anything with the Sundance environment, you feel like you're in L.A. working the film industry. And that's not a good thing. Especially for independent film.

I hope this year's different. I'll find out in a couple of days.

Got the annual routine of hustling about set up: my annual RSVP's to over 35 private parties and events over 3 to 4 days. My outline of what industry events to go to. Once I get there, I'll figure out what films to see. It's always great to watch the Slamdance films and get to know the new up and comers, the new members of our film family. I try to spend as much time as I can around the Slamdance environment, and try to avoid the Sundance environment, except for when there's things I really have to go to.

Hopefully, some good connections will be made this year. Last year was really weird. I hope it's better this year.

For me, it'll start out with a bang. On Sunday, I have a major book event for my No Budget Filmmaking Book during Sundance and Slamdance at Dolly's on Main Street. From what it's looking like, that event is going to be a mob. I can't wait.

Starting Friday, for 4 to 5 days, it's going to be time to be back in the mode of the annual hustle of filmmaking. And I love it.




Book Trailer: No Budget Filmmaking

No comments:

Post a Comment