Make a Donation

Friday, January 25, 2013

Day 4 at Sundance & Slamdance 2013


The Underground Filmmaker
Jack Truman with Meritxell Ortega & Mercedes Espelleta
Stars of the new film MUSGO
At the film's World Premiere at Slamdance 2013




Monday Night Blog – Park City – Sundance/Slamdance 2013 – 1/21/2013

Day 4 in Park City

All right. Here we are. The fourth and my final day in Park City this time around. The last day at Sundance and Slamdance is over for me. And I'll have to be honest. I'm glad it is.

I have to tell you something. Overall, in a nutshell, this year at Sundance was very disappointing. It was a real dud. I never remember it being this bad of an experience. And I've been coming here a lot of times over the years. Just as recent as last year, when I was on the Short Film Jury at Slamdance. The whole Sundance Park City madness experience was the same as always even as recently as last year. But not this year. I was amazed at how much of a dud it was. Bad films, bad parties, very little networking, most deals already made well ahead of time.....I'll have to tell you something. I'm glad that I've been here several times before. Because if this would have been my first time to Sundance, this dud of an experience would have made me think it was always like this.

This year, it was SO L.A.; if you're from L.A., or have ever been to L.A., you know what I mean. It wasn't independent like it's always been. This festival this time around was SO Hollywood, fake, artificial, and industry driven. Not the true independent spirit like years before. To be honest, it's sad to see. I'm not going to sugar coat nothing. I'm just going to tell how things are straight up. People deserve to know that.

It's nothing like it used to be.

I could go on for pages about the change and how it's not for the better. But for now, I'll just leave it at that.

Let's get on to what I did here on my final day in a nutshell:

I got up here at the Motel 6 room in Salt Lake City around 8:30 this morning. Opal called into Enterprise first thing to extend the rental car for 2 more days. Then I drank coffee while waking up, writing this morning's blog, and lining up today's Sundance/Slamdance schedule here in the motel room. We left Motel 6 around 10:30 – 11:00 this morning heading to Park City.

Once parking the car down by the Sundance Headquarters, took the free shuttle to Main Street, and walked up to the Sundance Channel headquarters for some coffee. We were in a rush, because by the time we parked the car, got to Main Street, and up to where the coffee was, it was already around 12:30; and we had a lot to do in the next 20 minutes. So we took the coffee with us, crossed the street to Slamdance at TMI, got tickets for some films later today, a few Luna health bars, and headed down Main Street to the Claim Jumper. There was a panel there at 1:00 that had 2 great friends of mine I had to see who I hadn't seen in some time: Scilla Andreen and Lynn Shelton.

Scilla's online distribution company Indieflix is the online distributor for our hit cult short film PHONE SEX GRANDMA. And I got to know Lynn when her first film I GO WAY BACK won Slamdance in 2006, when our first film PHONE SEX GRANDMA was there. So I was really looking forward to reconnecting with them. It was a great time this afternoon. The best time I had all day. Chatting with Lynn. Talking with Scilla. Seeing Opal reconnect with both of them. Lynn has a new film here at Sundance this week called TOUCHY FEELY. I am so happy for all of her success over these last few years. And she looked great, too. Really good.

After visiting with Lynn and Scilla, and going to their panel with Rick Rosenthal, we headed over to the Sundance House around 2:30 and I checked emails. Nothing important there. Then it was back up the Main Street walk towards Slamdance. But on the way, a stop at the Morningstar Farms building for those great Vegan Veggie burgers. Yummy.

After gobbling down the vegan burgers, Opal and I headed next door to TMI for Slamdance. We decided to spend most of the rest of the day around here. After all, we are Shorts Programmers for the festival this year, and need to see some more Slamdance films. And we both have the best time when we're around there. When we got in the lobby, we saw a couple of Opal's new PHONE SEX GRANDMA fans, director Brian Bolster of the new Slamdance short film THE MERCANTILE, which I've been hearing great things about. We talked with Brian and his partner in the lobby for about 45 minutes. That was a fun time. Relaxing. After chatting, just for a few minutes, we walked across the street to Cisero's. I was invited to the Louisiana Film Festival party. There was a line waiting outside, but it went quick. And then the new normal happened. They didn't have me on the list. Man, I was pissed off. I'd RSVP'd over a week ago, got a confirmation email, then this afternoon, got a reminder email of my confirmation. And here they didn't have me on the fucking list. What is this shit? I was getting fed up with all of this. The guy told us to go on in. And that party was a mob of artificial Sundance Hollywood fakes. We weren't there for 5 minutes and walked out, walked back across the street to Slamdance at the Treasure Mountain Inn, and went to the Slamdance Happy Hour mixer. It felt like I was walking back in my relative's house back home in the boonies. Networked and chatted with some people for about 30 minutes, then we headed to the Slamdance Collective screening of I WANT TO BE AN AMERICAN.

The Slamdance Collective I WANT TO BE AN AMERICAN was different. I like alternative, experimental, underground stuff. And that's what this was. 7 short films that my good friend Peter Baxter put together with a couple of other guys based on an idea. And Peter had a short in the collection called ALL ABOUT EVE that featured his daughter Eve. Damn. I could see Peter in her face. I just felt I was with family and friends that entire time. It made for a neat, cool, fun experience. I was really happy for Peter.

After the Slamdance Collective, we had a little time to kill. Several of our planned mixers and parties had petered out, with either getting emails that they were at capacity, events cancelled, or just not having time to go to them. So we missed Slava's Indiegogo mixer, the Kickstarter party, the Nintendo Lounge event, Sundance Headquarters party, and a couple other events. Either they were cancelled, too much of a mob to get in, or we just didn't have the time to go. So Opal and I walked upstairs to catch the tail end of the annual Hot Tub Summit at Slamdance. And damn. I'm SO glad we didn't go earlier. It was just a bunch of young people around in and out of the tub. It looked like a fucking college party. Not anything like the cool one they had last year with just a handful of people in the tub. And it was cold out there too. We headed back in the TMI area by the Slamdance office for a few minutes, got some tickets for the German mockumentary film KOHLHAAS, then walked over next door the the Morningstar Farms building for another Vegan Veggie burger dinner.

After dinner, we got in a few minutes late to KOHLHAAS. I'll tell you something. I'd been hearing great things about this film. But was really disappointed. I did not think it was a very good movie at all. The filming was done well, but a very boring, weird movie in my opinion. I must be in the minority, because everyone else in the room was enjoying it. The best part to me was when the final credits were running. But you know, what's my opinion? It's just one opinion. Like they say, opinions are like assholes. Everyone's got one.

After KOHLHAAS, we had about 15 minutes until a film I had heard great things about: MUSGO. I was really looking forward to seeing that film. Chatted in the hallway with a couple of the stars in the film I had made friends with a couple days ago, along with some other film friends. Then it was time for the late screening of MUSGO; our last film to see here at the festival.

MUSGO was a different film. The first 5 minutes were great. Awesome. Disturbing. I loved it. I thought, what the fuck? Wow. Where is this film going to go? I can't wait. Then, all of a sudden, it became a dud. The entire film until the last 10 minutes, in my opinion, was a dud. Not bad, but nothing to write home about. The thing about this film was that the beginning was so great, you kept glued throughout the entire film waiting to see what was going to happen next. Now, that is good filmmaking. I will say this. Out of all the movies I saw here in town this week, MUSGO, in my opinion, was the best of the bunch.

After the screening, I chatted with the stars of the film. I really like those girls. They are hot. I want to work with them. If I would have stuck around, we would have got lucky and had a lot of fun together tonight. It would have made for a fun, wild night to end my final night here. But I had to get back to the room. It was already well after midnight. So I said some final goodbyes to the hot girls, some Slamdance friends, then we headed back to the car, drove back to Salt Lake City, and got back at the Motel 6 room about 1:30 in the morning. By 2:00 in the morning I was knocked out.

4 days in Park City. Sundance and Slamdance 2013. And I'll tell you what. Honestly...I'm glad my 4 days are over.

I'm so looking forward to driving back today to the West Coast. More than you know. 







THE ACCEPTABLE SIN 
Award-Winning Documentary Short Film
Featuring Opal Dockery
Directed by Jack Truman

Screened at over 30 Film Festivals Worldwide

A Dixie Film

No comments:

Post a Comment