Make a Donation

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Sundance & Slamdance 2013: Day 3 in Park City


Opal Dockery, Dan Mirvish & Jack Truman
Slamdance 2013 Screening of BETWEEN US



Day 3 in Park City

Okay. Officially, my third day here in Park City. Second full day.

It was a hell of a lot better day than yesterday. Things are starting to really look up.

Overall, a lot got done today. Talked with some film friends, made some really good new contacts, started getting the new NO BUDGET FILMMAKING book out, found some good people interested in working on the feature film version of PHONE SEX GRANDMA, saw a good film at Slamdance, good networking, good parties, and more. It made for a good Sunday here in Park City at Sundance and Slamdance 2013.

Here's a brief rundown of my Sunday:

Got up around 8:30 a.m in the Motel 6 room. It was really hard to get up Sunday morning and get started. I can feel myself getting old. In the room, I lined up my Sunday for Sundance, wrote yesterday's blog and drank coffee while getting ready. Then Opal and I had a time in the motel room. We couldn't find the car keys. Spending about an hour looking for them, we thought we lost them and were going to be stuck. Suddenly they appeared on the floor underneath my Boston Red Sox ball cap. So we headed out around 10 o'clock from Salt Lake City. Got parked in Park City around 11:00 a.m.; we were able to park again by the Sundance Headquarters. There was a Queer brunch we were reserved for about a block down the road. I figured that would be a great place to promote our film PHONE SEX GRANDMA. The short film version is a huge hit on the queer / LBGT culture. They eat it up. But when we got there to the restaurant, there was a waiting line of almost 2 blocks long. So that petered out. We decided to head on up to Main Street. When getting on Main, we started walking towards Slamdance at TMI, and I stopped by Dolly's bookstore to talk to them about carrying my new NO BUDGET FILMMAKING book. It was a great meeting. They want to carry the new book. And next year, during Sundance 2014, They want to arrange a book signing there at the store for the book during Sundance. So I know now for sure already that I will be returning again next year. This book will be able to be on the festival circuit this year where my films screen, then make Sundance next year. That was a great way to start the day. After that, we headed over to the Morningstar Farms building and had some great Vegan Veggie burgers to start the day with some iced tea. Then crossed the street to the Sundance Channel headquarters to get some coffee. It was really good. Opal and I drank coffee there for about an hour and chatted with our film friends Anthony Pedone from RXSM in Austin and Chris Roberts with his wife and newborn son Joshua. After an hour, we went over to Slamdance to check on what was going on and met Forrest Whitaker. Opal had a great chat with him. It was time to run down on Main to the Riverhorse for the Deluxe Sundance party. They had some good food and coffee. I really liked there veggie rolls. I was feeling like an old man there, wore out and not wanting to do the networking thing, and Opal nagged me to get going on it; that it was why we were here. So I went up and started networking. Met the boys behind the new Sundance film MAGIC MAGIC. Then met a few other people, and was starting to get into my mode / groove of networking when it was time to head back to Slamdance. I didn't want to leave the Deluxe party with the way things were going, but I had to get back to TMI for Dan's film. So Opal and I got up to TMI right around 5:15 p.m., and went into the Slamdance happy hour for about 15 minutes to do some brief networking before the film. That flew by. It was time for Dan's film BETWEEN US. I was really happy for my good friend Dan Mirvish to get his film done. He had been trying to get BETWEEN US made for quite some time. It was a pretty good film. Started out slow, but got much better. The acting was really good. Julia Stiles was great. And with the film being based on a stage play, it was great to see a film that you couldn't really tell that it looked like it came from a play. I liked that. After the film, some great networking happened. A lot of people that worked on Dan's film started talking with me, and got really interested in working on the feature film version of PHONE SEX GRANDMA. So I might have found some good Los Angeles people to work with me on the upcoming film. That networking went on for about an hour. After that, it was time to walk done to Dan's after-party for BETWEEN US on Main Street at Cisero's. Saw some good friends I hadn't seen since last year here; people like Mark Bell from Film Threat, Josh Mitchell, Anthony from RXSM, my friend Don that I roomed with here last year, my other fellow condo roomie from last year Ed Stencel from Detroit, and more. Plus made some new contacts. After being there for about an hour, it was time to head over to the Slamdance weekend party on Heber. But on the way we stopped again at the Morningstar Farms building and had a couple of free Vegan Veggie burgers. Then after that, it was down to the Slamdance party. It made for a good time. Damn, those filmmaker kids this year are young. I never remember them looking so young. They look like high school kids. They could be my kids. It's so funny. Being at these things makes me realize how far I've got. I saw some good friends at the party. My great friend, Slamdance founder Peter Baxter, David Pierce, Kelly Calligan, Ed Stencel, and more...damn. I can't remember everyone. I could tell I could have got laid from some of these hot girls who are actresses. But that's okay. That part's entertainment. Opal started really fading at the party. She started getting sick before we got here, and I've felt bad her working the festival with me while she's sick. But she wants to do it rather than resting. She sat and rested while I made some rounds at the party. It was great chatting with my friend Peter Baxter. I really like that guy. He and I are on the same level. After an hour or so, it was time to get Opal back to the room. I could tell she was really fading. So we left the party a little after midnight, went to the car and drove back to Salt Lake City. Got back to the Motel 6 room about 1:30 in the morning, ate a little, worked a little, then called it a night.

Not a bad Sunday day 3 in Park City. I can't believe we've been here just 2 full days. It seems a hell of a lot longer.

Today is lined up for a much busier day. We'll see what gets done here on Day 4.






THE ACCEPTABLE SIN
Directed by Jack Truman
Featuring Opal Dockery

Screened at over 30 Film Festivals Worldwide.

A Dixie Film 


No comments:

Post a Comment