Make a Donation

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

True Underground Filmmaking - Start With a Short Film




It's so funny. Every time I live in Hollywood, everywhere I go in that artificial city, there is someone I come across that calls themselves a filmmaker. And they haven't made one film.

It's not hard to make a movie. Whether your film is 3 minutes long, or 3 hours long. A movie is a movie.

You have to start somewhere as a filmmaker. Why not start with a short film?

It's stunning when I go to film festivals and see other people's short films. In the Q&A's, they said they made their 15 minute short film for 'only' $30,000. Thirty grand? I can make a feature film for a lot less than that. If you have a camera and a computer, you can make a short film, and play it all over the world on movie screens.

My short films have played over 300 film festivals worldwide. The first short film I made, PHONE SEX GRANDMA, still plays festivals 7 years after it premiered in Park City at Slamdance. It screens in Arizona next week, and in the UK next month. My new hit narrative short film WOODY THE REDNECK cost nothing to make, because I used the same camera and computer I had, and starred in the film (my first acting role in 10 years). Since it premiered on the East Coast last August, it's played over 15 film festivals and won awards. And I just finished editing and producing a brand new documentary short film that didn't cost anything to make. This one will really explode. You don't need a lot of money to make a film. Just start with a little short film that covers a topic, subject or story you're passionate about. Shoot it. Edit it on a computer. Then start sending it out to film festivals.

You don't need to go to film school.

Anyone can make a movie.

Make your movie.

Start with a short film.

NO BUDGET FILMMAKING or How to Be a Well-Known Filmmaker & Be Broke at the Same Time
Written by Jack Truman
Copyright 2013 Dixie Publishing




No comments:

Post a Comment